Please note that all information on this site pertains to the 2022 summer school. We will be updating the site with info for the 2023 summer school in due course.
Enrolment for all 2022 classes will be done online and this year every student will have to be pre-registered. Classes can be booked on the Tickets page.
The fee of €140 (Euro), plus Eventbrite handling fee, covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals. Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, afternoon events at the Marquee and Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes and reduced admission to all céilithe.
Piping students should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
All other non piping enquiries should be directed to the contact details on the Home page.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 9th JULY CONCERT.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport. Admission to the classes and workshops is by REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments. Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes. Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday, except where indicated.
There will be information exchanges where students will meet staff at the Community Centre, Miltown Malbay, on Saturday 2nd July between 3pm and 6pm and on Sunday 3rd July between 5pm and 7.30pm
Students will have to arrange their own transport and accommodation.
Accommodation contact: Maureen Kilduff 089-232 0498 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An accommodation list can be viewed and downloaded here
Bus service between Ennis and Miltown Malbay
Bus Éireann operate four buses a day, Monday to Saturday, and two on Sunday from Ennis Bus Station to Miltown Malbay and back via Kilfenora, Ennistymon and Lahinch. The route number is 333 and the times are as follows:
ENNIS BUS STATION TO MILTOWN MALBAY MON - SAT
DEP: 08:00 11:00 14:00 17:00
ARR: 09:14 12:16 15:16 18:16
DEP: 10:00 16:00
ARR: 11:15 17:15
MILTOWN MALBAY TO ENNIS BUS STATION MON - SAT
DEP: 07:55 11:05 14:05 16:47 20:50
ARR: 09:11 12:35 15:35 18:06 22:06
DEP: 13:05 19:05
ARR: 14:23 20:23
Please check the Bus Éireann website for up to the minute details, select the Timetables tab and then enter 333 as the bus route. Dublin Coach operate regular bus services to Ennis from Dublin city centre, Tralee and Limerick - details can be found here.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at St. Joseph's.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School, Mullagh Road and private houses, Miltown Malbay.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in National School, Mullagh Road and private houses, Miltown Malbay.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held in Mullagh Village, in the Sports Centre and various venues.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the Sports Centre, Mullagh.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be held at the Quilty Tavern, and various venues in Quilty.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses. Piping classes will be pre-registered. Students can pre-register online at www.pipers.ie or e-mail: email@example.com. Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the West Clare Resource Centre.
• HARMONICA CLASSES will be held at Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish Point.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the Church of Ireland Community
• HARP CLASSES will be held at the GAA Clubhouse, Bog Road, and private houses, Flag Road.
Assembly at Monday 9 am at the Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. These workshops will examine the Irish and English language song traditions and traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of these traditions. Conducted by Brian Mullen and Ciarán Ó Gealbháin. In addition there will afternoon singing workshops on 4, 5, 6, 7 July, 4.00pm -6.00pm, at National School, Mullagh Rd, Miltown Malbay. Conducted by Máire Ni Cheilleachair and Jerry O'Reilly. These are confined to students attending the Singing and Dúchas an Cheoil morning courses.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. A week long introduction to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan. This course is accredited by the University of Limerick through the Blas Summer School. See www.blas.ie
Further contact details for the Singing/Dúchas an Cheoil workshops: 086-877 3747 and 087-950 0006
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) and SCOTS GAELIC (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
Summer School Venues Map
1. Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
2. West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road.
3. National School, Miltown Malbay.
4. The Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
5. GAA Club House, Miltown Malbay.
6. Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish Point.
7. St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point.
8. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
9. Spanish Point Golf Club.
10. Airfield, Spanish Point.
11. Quilty Tavern, Quilty.
12. GAA Club House, Quilty.
13. Quilty National School.
14. Mullagh Village.
• Antrim Square Set, Kilfenora Plain Set, Uibh Ráthach Set, South Galway Set, Caledonian Set, Sliabh Luachra Set, Waltz Cotillion
with Brooks Academy. Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Moycullen Set, Merchant Set, Corofin Plain Set, Ballyvourney Jig Set, Clare Lancers Set, with Mary Clancy and Mary Kate Clancy.
Venues: Day 1 Monday 4th July only at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. The rest of the week the classes will be at the Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Steps and Rhythms of the Clare Sets and Battering with Aidan Vaughan and Betty McCoy.
Venue: St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Bernie Mac Gabhann. Venue: Spanish Point Golf Club.
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mairéad Casey and Mick Mulkerrin. Venue: Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Noel Devery and Maureen O'Reilly. Venue: GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.