Enrolment, Fees and Class Venues
Please note that the information on this page pertains to the Summer School as it would have been run in non pandemic times. This will be relevant again when it will be possible to run the school in the same way as in previous years.
Except for uilleann pipes, the first opportunity for enrolment is on Saturday 3rd July from 2.00pm to 6.00pm in the Community Hall, Miltown Malbay. Enrolment will continue on Sunday, 4th July from 4.30pm to 7.30pm. Students may also enrol at the Community Hall or at the various venues on Monday morning at 9.00 am.
Piping students only should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
All other non piping enquiries should be directed to the contact details on the Home page.
The fee of €140 (Euro) covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals. Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, afternoon events at the Marquee and Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes. Registered students are entitled to reduced admission to all céilithe.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 10th JULY CONCERT.
Fee payable on registering in Miltown Malbay. Cheques must be made payable to: Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport. Admission to the classes and workshops is by WEEKLY REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments. Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes. Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday, except where indicated.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. Grading will take place at the St Joseph's.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Miltown Malbay (further details at registration). Grading will take place at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in private houses in Miltown Malbay (further details at registration). Grading will take place at the Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Bog Road.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held in Mullagh Village. Grading will take place at the Sports Centre, Mullagh.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be held at Quilty Tavern, Credit Union House, GAA Clubhouse and National School, Quilty. Grading at Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses. Piping classes will be pre-registered. Students can pre-register online at www.pipers.ie or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093.
• HARMONICA CLASSES including some workshops on the Jaw Harp will be held at Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish
Point. Grading will take place at the Church of Ireland Community
• HARP CLASSES will be held at the GAA Clubhouse, Bog Road, and private houses, Flag Road. Grading will take place at the Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Bog Road.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. These workshops will examine the Irish and English language song traditions and traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of these traditions. Conducted by Brian Mullen and Ciarán Ó Gealbháin.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. A week long introduction to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan. This course is accredited by the University of Limerick through the Blas Summer School. See www.blas.ie
Further contact details for the Singing/Dúchas an Cheoil workshops: 086-877 3747 and 087-950 0006
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) and SCOTS GAELIC (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
• The Fermanagh Set, Kilfenora Plain Set, Ardgroom Set, Aran Set, Victoria Set with Brooks Academy. Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Ballyvourney Jig Set, Cashel Set, Corofin Plain Set, Merchant Set, Moycullen Set, with Mary Clancy and Mary Kate Clancy. Venue: Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Steps and Rhythms of the Clare Sets and Battering with Aidan Vaughan and Betty McCoy. Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Paddy Neylon. Venue: Golf Club, Spanish Point.
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mick Mulkerrin and Mairéad Casey. Venue: Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Patrick O’Dea and Noel Devery. Venue: GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.