Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2017
The 45th Willie Clancy Summer School, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Ireland. Saturday 1st July to Sunday 9th July, 2017.
Sráid na Cathrach, Co. an Chláir 1ú Iúil - 9ú Iúil
Accommodation and Transport.
Students will have to arrange their own accommodation and transport.
The accommodation list for 2017 will be made available shortly.
The Bus Éireann timetable between Ennis and Miltown Malbay can be accessed at www.buseireann.ie
ENROLMENT, FEES AND CLASS VENUES
Except for Uilleann pipes, the first opportunity for enrolment is on Saturday 1st July between 2.00 pm and 6.00 pm in the Community Hall, Miltown Malbay. Enrolment will continue on Sunday, 2nd July from 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm. Students may also enrol at the Community Hall or at the various venues on Monday morning at 9.00 am.
Piping students should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
The fee of €140 (Euro) covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals.
Registered students are entitled to reduced admission to all céilithe.
Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, Irish Dance & Tap Dance, the Éirinn is Alba concert, Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes, and reduced admission to all céilithe.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 8th JULY CONCERT.
Fee payable on registering in Miltown Malbay. Cheques must be made payable to: Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport.
Admission to the classes and workshops is by WEEKLY REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments.
Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes.
Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
Piping students should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta St. Dublin 1. Tel 01-8730093
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. Demonstrations by noted fiddlers will be a feature of the fiddle tuition for the week.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Miltown Malbay (further details at registration). Note: Grading will take place at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Mullagh Road & Ennis Road, Miltown Malbay. (further details at registration). Note: Grading will take place at the National School.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held at Haran's House, opposite GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be graded at Quilty Tavern, Quilty. Classes will be held at the
following venues in Quilty: G.A.A. Clubhouse, National School, Credit Union House, Leon Centre and Quilty Tavern. Note: Grading will take place at the Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses.
Piping classes will be pre-registered. Contact Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• HARMONICA CLASSES including some workshops on the Jaw Harp will be held at Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish Point.
• HARP CLASSES will be held at GAA Clubhouse, GAA Grounds and in private houses, Flag Road, Miltown Malbay. Note: Grading will take place at the Marquee.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at St Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. These will take the form of group discussions. Traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of the Irish and English language song traditions. Conducted by Ian Lee and Brian Mullen.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at St Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. A week long introduction
to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan.
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) & Scots Gaelic (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
• Fermanagh Quadrilles Set, Claddagh Set, Curraisers Set, Caragh Lake Set, Labasheeda Set, with Brooks Academy,
Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Merchant Set, Moycullen Set, Derrada Set, Clare Lancers Set, Kilfenora Plain Set with Mary Clancy and Mary
Kate Clancy. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Paddy Neylon. Golf Club, Spanish Point.
• Steps and rhythm of the Clare Set and battering with Aidan Vaughan and Betty McCoy. St Joseph’s Secondary
School, Spanish Point.
• Jig and Polka Sets from Sliabh Luachra and West Kerry with Timmy McCarthy and assistants. St. Joseph's
Secondary School, Spanish Point.
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mick Mulkerrin and Mairéad Casey. Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Patrick O’Dea, Margaret Wray and Noel Devery, GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.
• Traditional Scottish dances: 3 workshops with Scottish Group Dannsa, on 4th, 5th & 6th July from 2.30pm - 4.30pm, Mill Marque, GAA Grounds. This is a workshop exclusive to this year's Summer School.
List of Venues
1. Community Centre
2. West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road
3. National School, Miltown Malbay
4. The Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown
5. GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay
6. Church of Ireland Community Centre,
7. St Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point
8. McAuley House, Spanish Point
9. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point
10. Spanish Point Golf Club
11. Bellbridge Hotel, Spanish Point
12. Quilty Tavern
13. GAA Clubhouse, Quilty
14. National School, Quilty
Source: Barry Dalby, East West Mapping.
© Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2017 Website: Tony Kearns www.tonykearns.net